Tuesday 19 January 2010

Harrow Road

"I saw Elvis washing clothes in the lauderette by the Grove. Washing powder on his nose. Down the Harrow Road ..." What a way to start a song. Mick Jones, of course, has his own chapter in the London songbook, and this is one of his finest moments. Harrow Road appears on Big Audio's Higher Power set which is cruelly overlooked when the great man's work is mentioned. I'm sure Clashologists will be able to talk at length about the significance of the Harrow Road in the group's myth. But it's a mighty long road and a very old road and Mick knows there's a lot of stories there to be told. Higher Power also contains a number called Over The Rise which makes me think immediately of Kensal Rise or Kensal Green. And I don't want to. So, to keep ghosts at bay this is for me. "Sing Michael sing ..."

1 comment:

  1. There are two versions of Harrow Road. The "best" (ska) version is found on "Planet Bad Greatest Hits".

    ReplyDelete