Friday 5 February 2010

Beyond the son

"Got back the other day to find the pub on the corner had been burnt down. A dark London street story I won't burden you with now ... Yup, I know they're casting their lots to see who can get the old pub's lease and turn it into more luxury flats. Brick by brick infiltration has begun ..." Rob Gallagher is one of the heroes of this project, having already appeared in his Galliano and Earl Zinger guises. Here, on Koop's Beyond The Son, he reads aloud a letter he's sending an old friend, giving all the news from back home. He mentions, in passing, seeing a mutual friend's dad carrying a bag of potatoes on his shoulders on the Holloway Road. It's a beautiful track, but I have to confess I was completely out of the Koop loop until a fellow member of the resistance chez Dusty 7s put me right, which is a little odd as among the other Koop collaborators is Yukimi Nagano, who with Little Dragon has created some of the most uplifting music of recent times. Oh well ... "the drunkards still own the park". Even in summer ...

1 comment:

  1. I must admit to having a bit of a soft spot for Koop. Not that I've heard a lot of them. Must get round to checking out some more.

    ReplyDelete