Sunday 7 February 2010

Emptily Through Holloway

"When I met you at The Coronet this morning you said that your happiness had gone ..." The Clientele's Emptily Through Holloway is one of those beautiful aches of a song where you find yourself straining to catch whispered words, perhaps mishearing but that's irrelevant. I rate it up there with Felt's The World Is As Soft As Lace. It's a cinematic sweep of a song in its way, which is apt as The Coronet on the Holloway Road opened as the Savoy Cinema in February 1940 in all its Art Deco-ish glory, and was one of the few cinemas to be opened as planned in the early days of WW2. In my version of the Emptily Through Holloway script a couple meet in the last days of an affair in the cinema, holding hands one more time where no one can see their tears. They leave the cinema separately, and don't see each other until the war is over. All very Graham Greene, I confess. This was the first Clientele song that really stayed with me, and actually it makes me think of happy endings so perhaps we should add one to our script. Talking about films it's difficult to distance the Holloway Road from the Joe Meek story, so here's David John & The Mood with Bring It To Jerome ...

1 comment:

  1. Ah, sad to say I can remember the Coronet as a cinema, and it was a bingo hall, and now it's a Weatherspoons... I seem to remember it showing Gaelic football on Sundays. I think I saw Superman The Movie there, but that might have been at the Odeon. I certainly saw the first Star Trek movie there...

    ReplyDelete